Wednesday, January 20, 2010

skin care, simplified.

I mentioned a few posts back that I'm an esthetician.  In short, I LOVE all things skin care.  I enjoy discussing products, but with SO many out there to choose from I'm only really familiar with a fraction of them.  What I love most is to keep things simple, so over the past year I have really simplified my skin care routine and have been able to achieve the relatively good skin I strive for.  Here is what works for me:

I chose a ph appropriate cleanser that I use morning and night (Peter Thomas Roth foaming cleanser).  In the AM I only wash from the top of my nose, down around my mouth, and my chin.  This is the area I'm most prone to blackheads and cystic acne so I take care to get that area clean.  I just splash water on my forehead and cheeks because these areas tend to get dry.  I follow with an antioxidant packed day cream with an SPF of 25 and a good eye cream.

In the PM, if I am wearing makeup, I wash my face twice.  Yup, twice.  No matter what cleanser you are using, if you have product on your face, you are going to need to wash it twice.  The first cleanse is just breaking up the makeup and not getting into those pores.  If you have a precleanser like the one by Dermalogica, you can use that and then follow with your cleanser but I choose to use my cleanser twice.  I follow with a good rich night cream packed with antioxidants and AHA's to keep my skin glowing.  If you are concerned about pigmentation, choose a night cream with kojic acid as well to help lighten those spots.  And don't forget eye cream!

Did you get that? I just cleanse and moisturize.  If I went somewhere for a week, I'd only need 4 products.  For the girl who's cabinet under the sink is literally overflowing SO much I had to add shelving on the outside this is a HUGE step. 

Well, now you know what I do to keep my skin in shape.  I am going to be adding a series of posts as we go along to help you understand why good skin care is so important--and how neglecting it can be hazardous to your health.  Your skin is your largest organ, so take care of it!

4 comments:

  1. Your posts on skin care are fantastic. i always follow them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will definitely have more coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of moisturizers do you use? Origins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently I'm using some moisturizers by Murad. They aren't great IMO, but I think it has more to do with them being the wrong products for my skin and less to do with that they are Murad--they just aren't quite hydrating enough. the day cream is from the Vitamin C line, and the night cream has a retinoid in it. :)

    ReplyDelete