Monday, February 21, 2011

newborn diaper stash

so, I hadn't updated the blog in 6 weeks because I have been busy!!  Here are some pics of the diaper stash, mostly made by me:




These are burp cloths, 2 layers of cute flannel print with a hidden layer of hemp fleece for absorbancy.  I love how they have the cutout to fit nicely over your shoulder.  I got this pattern from a friend of mine--so nice of her to share!  There are 7 here, and if this kiddo spits anywhere near as much as Staci did this will not be enough, but we have plenty of other prefolds that will work just fine as burp cloths so I'm not too stressed about making more of these.


ahhh the preemie sized prefolds.  SO tiny! I had to put a quarter there to show off just how tiny they really are.  They should fit as pf's from about 5-9lbs, but we can also use them as burp cloths, doublers, cleaning cloths. so many great uses! I did not make these, they are unbleached Indian pf's.


To the left of the pf's are my homemade wipes.  Just one layer of hemp fleece 'serged' around the edges to keep them from fraying.  I am using the term 'serged' loosely since I don't have a serger, I just chose an encased zigzag stitch and kept the needle off the fabric on the outside.  I really didn't know what I was doing, but they held up well in the wash so that's a plus!  They are just wipes.  I wasn't too concerned about them being perfect. So far I have 23, and will finish the 24th as soon as I get more thread.  I have completely run out!


Teeny tiny newborn sized diapers.  The pink ones at the top are all in ones (used just like a disposable, only washed instead of thrown away).  Some of them are a microfleece inner (a stay-dry fabric) and some are just cotton flannel.  The pink and purple giraffe print has a pink cotton velour inner and these are fitteds.  That means they are not waterproof and require a cover.  The two on the right are covers (make the pf's and fitteds waterproof).  All of these were made by me except the blue diaper--that is one I ordered from diaperswappers.  So, all in all, 9 AIO's, 4 fitteds, 24 teeny tiny pf's and 2 covers.  SO tiny and CUTE!  the fitteds, AIO's and covers should all fit up until about 13 lbs.

This is the next size up, I have 24 infant sized pf's (also unbleached Indian) that will fit from about 8-15lbs, and newborn sized covers that should fit about the same size range.  Basically, these should fit Olivia from birth but I was nervous she'd be teeny tiny like her sister so I made some teeny tiny diapers to accomodate that.  Anastasia was 5lbs12oz when we brought her home from the hospital--that is a teeny tiny 40weeker!


Close-up of the NB size covers--I am so proud of them! These are the most recent things I've made--my sewing has improved so much.  It really is exciting to me!  So far there are 2 pink covers and 4 purple covers.  Two more pink covers will hopefully be finished by this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, totally fantastic! I was just begging my friend to teach me how to thread my mom's old sewing machine and you are like a diaper making factory here! I have no idea what pf's AIO's or fitteds are but this makes me wanna learn what they are and make em- and a baby to put them on. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! But yeah, I don't know how it all goes together. You'll have to take pics of Olivia in them once she's here. Great job Mama.

    ReplyDelete