Monday, October 5, 2009

yeah. about that.

It really shows you how desperate we are for sleep around here when we resort to cry it out methods.  I know there are lots of kids who learned to put themselves to sleep that way and they turn out just fine, and that method works for lots of families.  It just doesn't work for ours.  At least not until I truly have tried EVERY other method available.  Yesterday was a terrible day, filled with barely any sleep and lots and lots of crying.  I realize it was only day 4.  I know that in order to see results, no matter which method we choose, we need to give it a full 2 weeks.  However, I could literally feel myself detatching from my baby, so that I didn't get so emotional when I heard her cries.  I could see the way she looked at me when I went into get her after a full hour scream-a-thon and I just knew she was wondering why on earth her mommy had abandoned her. 

Enter--Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution.  I haven't finished reading as of yet, but am far enough in (about half way) to at least get started.  Today was eval-day--and tonight will also be an eval-night.  I have kept track of when she fell asleep for each nap today, how she feel asleep, where she slept, and when she awoke.  Despite my best efforts to get her to sleep for 3-4 hours, I was only able to get her to sleep for 2 hours and 38 minutes total.  Guess how much time she spent in her crib? a whopping total of 55 minutes.  (the rest was spent in my arms in our glorious apholstered swivel glider).  Well, at least I was able to get some reading done. :-\ 

I did begin to implement some of her strategies and I really think this will work for us, as long as I have the energy and the PATIENCE to keep going.  It is so hard to do after MONTHS of sleep deprivation.  I don't think I've slept longer than a 5 hour stretch in, oh, say... 9 months or so.  I know Staci is only 6 months, but those last few months of pregnancy are so uncomfy sleeping long stretches was rare.

Some of the techniques I'm going to implement are the Pantley Removal Technique (a way to help Staci learn she doesn't have to suck to fall asleep), teaching Staci little by little how to fall asleep without me (or any other warm body), introduce a lovey, and getting her to sleep as much as possible (at least 3-4 hours) during the day.  I have to create a schedule and that is something I will most certainly struggle the most with, but I know it is very important so that Staci knows what to expect and when to expect it. 

Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. good job, momma! also, do you have some sort of white noise in her room? like a fan or a sound machine so she doesn't here everything going on outside or around the house? that may help to! I'm so excited to see if this works for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...typos. I meant "hear" and "too." good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find something that works well for you all! I agree with Becki's white noise suggestion. Both of my kids need it to sleep. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the white noise recommendation. You know it has always helped us! Good luck sweetie.

    ReplyDelete