Friday, March 2, 2012

allergy update

This blog has been neglected! Since the last time I updated, we received Max's IgG food panel as well as Staci's IgE food panels. For Max, he is also highly intolerant to gluten, sesame seeds and cranberries. My test results only showed sesame seeds and cranberries.

Staci's IgE food panel showed a level V reaction to peanuts on a scale of I-VI, 0 being the least reaction and VI the highest. When I spoke with the allergist she said Staci was so allergic to peanuts she should not even sit next to someone eating them. I am so thankful Staci's reaction when exposed, up to this point, has been immediate puking. I didn't realize the severity of her reaction. IgE means that we just don't know what her reaction to peanuts would be next time, and it's very possible it could be anaphylactic shock, which can quickly lead to... I can't even type it out. But let's just say my world would end and I would never get out of bed. Ever. So, we carry an epi-pen with us everywhere and have one in the medicine cabinet as well.

Her IgE food panel also came back at a level I for soy, wheat, and whole eggs. Very similar to what the IgG panel showed which I thought was really interesting. Because they showed a minor reaction, I was told to add soy to our elimination diet and to try reintroducing it once we are done and see how she does. I have never been so nervous about anything, ever. And I used to be a musical theatre major and have to get up and sing in front of LOTS of people. And my peers. By myself. So, that's saying a lot.

Olivia crawling through the 'cave'
We have been gluten free/egg free/dairy free/soy free/peanut free for almost 3 months now! It has been a learning experience for me but also very fun. Maybe that sounds crazy but I HAVE to look at it that way to survive. Honestly, I do.

I'll be sharing a list of my favorite blogs and recipes when I find the time! When I'm not cooking, I'm generally playing with my kids. Olivia loves crawling through the cave and then clapping for herself when she gets to the end! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Allergies Suck! Ha! Ha! You really don't think that much about them until it happens in your own family. My niece has allergies, and so, I started to think about them, especially when we were around her. Once we found out that Everett has allergies too, it rocked our world. Hats off to you for dealing with such a big list. It makes food so difficult, but it sounds like you have it under wraps. I am looking forward to seeing what blogs and recipes you have to share!

    ReplyDelete