Sunday, December 20, 2009

Why I Cloth Diaper

First of all, let me tell you that I never saw myself as a cloth diapering sort of girl.  I am ALL about convenience, especially when it comes to kids.  Also, I have very little patience, so the idea of having to launder diapers every other day for at least 2 years (probably 3) out of every child's life we are blessed with wasn't real high on my 'things I'd like to spend my time doing' list.  Even so, last September two Septembers ago I found myself entering my second trimester wondering what on earth to do about diapers.  I really was not interested in contributing quite substantially to the landfills when it could be avoided, but as alluded to above, I'm a tad on the lazy side.  And then, as luck would have it, an online friend introduced me to gdiapers.  It was as if the clouds opened up, and a giant ray of sunshine was shining down on these diapers in my mind.  The main reason I loved them so much? umm, hello, they are CUTE! (see pic to the left!) But then reality set in--those puppies are PRICEY!  like, more than premium disposables pricey.  The search continued.

The more I searched, the more I realized I actually WAS the cloth diapering sort of girl.  I also found myself not just fascinated by becoming more eco-friendly, but actually a crunchy-granola-y attached parent-y nothing artificial for my baby-y mama--and more often than I ever would have imagined.  Other than having to borrow one disposable diaper from a friend in a pinch when Staci filled more diapers than I would have guessed when we were not at home, my baby girl has not worn a disposable diaper since we left the hospital. Here is why:

1) Plain and simple: COST!  Disposable diapers are expensive, my friend. In fact, in just the first year, Max and I will have saved over $700 in diapering alone.  Seven hundred dollars buys a lot of baby toys, clothes, and activities!

2) The cuteness factor. (really, this should take its rightful place at #1) As stated above, it's my dirty little secret as to why I originally walked down the cloth diapering path.  The Cuter Cloth is an excellent example:

Of course, this specific diaper is also pricey, but still cheaper than disposables!

3) Let's talk about toxins. Those yucky things disposable diaper manufacturers would rather you NOT find out about.  Sodium polyacrylate is used in most disposable diapers because of its excellent ability to hold water--up to 300x's its weight.  But have you ever changed a baby's diaper and found an icky gel-like substance coating their most sensitive parts? While no studies have been done (NO STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE!!!! DOES THIS NOT ALARM ANYONE BUT ME?!?!) on whether or not it's harmful to children when it comes into contact with their skin, I personally can't see it being GOOD for them. 

Perhaps the scariest toxin of all that needs to be noted here is dioxin.  It's a known carcinogen, and it's a biproduct of the bleaching process used to get those diapers white and 'clean'.  I do use chlorine bleach VERY sparingly in household cleaning and occasionally on laundry, but I try to limit it as much as possible.  By and large, Staci is not exposed to this little gem.

There are a myriad of other lovelies found in most disposables which studies have linked to asthma--in both babies and the parents that are around them frequently--and to lowered male fertility later in life.  The Diaper Hyena has a great overview about them here.

I realize that there are TONS of toxins and other yuckies that Staci will come into contact with throughout her life.  I am probably exposing her to some of them even through breastfeeding.  This, however, is ONE thing I can control out of all the millions of things I can't.  Hey, I do what I can.

Really, that pretty much did it for me, but let's talk about the eco-friendly issue as well.

4) Cloth diapers ARE better for the environment--I truly believe that.  Over the past 2 decades, there have been a couple of studies bought and paid for by disposable diaper companies 'proving' that there is really no difference between cloth and disposable diaper's impact on the environment when you take into account the water used to launder cloth diapers.  I take issue with this because 1) I find it hard to believe that the creation of disposable diapers with all their toxins described above has the same impact as the creation of cloth diapers--which many are created by work at home moms the old fashioned way-- and 2)--errr hello--water is recyclable!  we may not have figured it all out yet, but I cannot believe we are very far away from figuring out how to clean and re-use the water used to wash diapers with.   Certainly closer than shipping our trash out to space, as we're quickly running out of room here on this rock we call Earth.  Also, as Natural Papa discusses, water conservation is a lifestyle. 

My journey to cloth diapering came on fast and furious, sparking other natural parenting choices and decisions, including my decision to have a natural birth, to breastfeed for at least the first 12 months, and to practice attachment parenting.  I see cloth diapering as part of my identity as a mom, and take pride in my decision.  Plus, it really is the cuter option!!

6 comments:

  1. 1. When I saw your first pic, I thought, "woah. staci must be WAY off the growth charts. " :)
    2. I linked your blog in my last post...I thought you did a great job explaining why you cloth diaper! Maybe people reading someone else talk about it on my blog will help stop the, "What the heck are you doing?" questions and blank stares from my family/friends! :0)
    3. Staci is rockin' out that Bumbo. "that's right...I pee in cotton!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Becki! I was JUST thinking how I wanted more blog traffic so I figured I should write a post about something BESIDES my baby not sleeping (LOL!!) and maybe people might be a tad more interested HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megs, well put! I haven't researched much about cloth diapering, but thanks for answering some of the questions going on inside my head. Definitely makes me think twice about what we are currently doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nic! thanks for the feedback! do you have a blog, too? LMK I will add you to my google reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas, no blog, yet! I will let you know when I have it all set up...may be a while though. Still contemplating ideas ;P

    ReplyDelete