Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bradley class reunion!

I have been waiting to write this blog until Cassey, another member of the class who happens to be a professional photographer, posted the pictures she took so I could link some of them here.  It's been a week and a half now, and if I don't blog about it I will forget everything!  So, here goes:

I guess I should start by explaining that Max and I attended a natural birthing class (the Bradley Method, perhaps better known as Husband Coached Childbirth) for a few months prior to Anastasia's birth.  It was very important to me to at least try to have a natural labor and delivery and I knew I would need to be prepared in order to reach this goal--seeing as I'm a total wimp!  I firmly believe that if anyone is interested in having a natural birth, this is absolutely the way to go.  There are other methods out there, but this one has been around the longest and has the highest studied success rate.  Also, for any soon to be mom, I highly recommend at least reading the book "Childbirth the Bradley Way".  If you plan to have an epidural or pain medication, just ignore what it says about these things.  Honestly, no one really talks about labor and delivery, so I had no idea what to expect.  This book taught me pretty much everything I needed to know!

I digress...

A couple of Saturday evenings ago Max, Staci and I all loaded into the car and met at Amy's house for a potluck reunion. It was so much fun to see everyone and their babies!  especially since the last time I'd seen some of the girls, we all looked like this:

It is so much fun to look back and see all the cute preggos, and to now have met the OH so ADORABLE babies!  We are lined up in order of EDD's (estimated due dates) from the right.  Meagan, Cassey, myself, Amy, Stephanie, and Becky.  We all had our babies pretty much in this order, though Cassey and I managed to beat Meagan.  Although I think I only beat Meagan by a day or so. :)   There was also another mama who happened to have her baby in January, only a few classes in!  Her name is Kara, and she and her hubby and baby boy did join us for the reunion. 
So, as soon as Cassey makes those photos available, I will post the 'after' shots. :)
Perhaps the most fun part of the reunion was rehashing some birth stories (I am addicted to these now) and discussing topics with other like-minded mamas.  Things such as breastfeeding, cloth diapering, eating organically, and living green aren't things you can always talk to just anyone about because of prejudices and frankly, closed-mindedness. 
Anastasia of course had to insert herself into the conversation by >LOUDLY< blowing raspberries in all directions.  It was SO adorable, if I do say so myself!  We ended up having to duck out early due to Staci's inability to fall asleep anywhere but her own room, but all in all it was a very fun evening!  It was so wonderful to see Dana, our instructor, again after having learned information very dear to our hearts from her!

4 comments:

  1. If I wasn't such a wimp I would have tried natural child birth. Hubby and I never thought we would be considered "alternative" parents, but I think a lot of people think of us that way because we follow a lot of the attached parenting principals, extended breastfeeding and tandem breastfeeding. I always love being around other women who are open minded about parenting and childrearing, whether they practice the same type of things we do. I've come to realize that when it comes to parenting it's really got to be whatever works for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you guys got to get together! You are all beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree, Sheila! I'd have to say attachment parenting is probably the closest to our parenting style, but you are so right in that it has to be what works for the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having friends with the same parenting ideas is so nice! Most people hear that I cloth-diaper and assume I'm some insane hippie. :)

    SO SORRY about the pictures! This is the busiest time of the year for photography, and I haven't even gotten those pictures onto my computer yet...in fact, I haven't glanced at them since that night! Haha, paying clients come first. I didn't know you were waiting on them though. Honestly, I'm swamped right now and it will probably be at least 2-4 more weeks before I get to them...but I'll try to hurry! We had a lot of fun seeing everyone again!

    ReplyDelete