Thursday, August 27, 2009

A response to Earth 2100

On June 2, 2009 ABC aired a special TV broadcast of 'Earth 2100'.  It was a 2 hour special following the life of Lucy, a little girl born in 2009.  I felt a strong connection with Lucy because my own daughter, Anastasia, was born in April of this year.  Also narrated by Lucy, I found myself in tears for much of the time while I was watching because of all the hardships Lucy endures.  Her family abandons their suburban home to move to the city because gas prices are too high for them to afford to live so far away from their jobs.  Instead of selling their home, they must abandon it because no one is buying homes in the suburbs.  I live in the suburbs!  They move into a tiny apartment, and Lucy doesn't understand why they must leave there big, comfortable home. 

I watched this a couple of months ago, so I can't remember all of the details.  In a nutshell, it becomes progressively more difficult for Lucy to live life the way we do now.  Out of necessity, coastal cities came up with the technology to transform salt water into fresh water.  Buildings are repurposed to use all available space as gardens for growing food.  Transportation is refined so the use of fossil fuels is no longer needed, because what's left is far too expensive for a normal family to afford. In the end, the polar ice caps melt and NYC (where she has ended up as a nurse, in her 'golden' years) is flooded--very reminiscent of Katrina.  She somehow makes it out of the city alive and spends the rest of her days with her daughter in a commune type place. 

I was shocked to my core!  I realize it is an extremists point of view, but I urge each and every one of you, especially if you are parents, to watch this documentary.  It's frightening that we are within a century of what could be the end of civilization as we know it. 

That being said, I truly believe that what we think about, we bring about.  If we continue to desire forward, to invent the technology for completely renewable resources and that have little to no impact on our environment, our planet can begin to heal itself. 

So, did YOU reduce, reuse, and recycle today?

No comments:

Post a Comment